Virginia Community Capital is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life for Virginians. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk and Richmond, we offer innovative and flexible financing tools throughout the state. In addition, we provide professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities.
VCC is currently seeking a Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer to be a market leader in the Hampton Roads area. VCC’s Lending Department serves a wide range of for-profit and non-profit developers and businesses in the creation and preservation of quality multifamily housing, the development of community and medical facilities, the redevelopment of mixed use property and the expansion of employment through small business lending – all of which strengthen the neighborhood fabric and provide services that increase opportunities for individuals and communities.
The Real Estate Loan Officer is responsible for developing and maintaining strong relationships with commercial real estate and multifamily borrowers and providing quality customer service, acting as the principal account manager for new and existing customers. The Loan Officer develops, generates, and follows-up on new client leads through referrals, and calls on existing borrowers to review lending activities and makes recommendations as needed. The Real Estate Loan Officer is responsible for business development, credit analysis, underwriting, and proper loan structuring within the parameters of existing lending programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ability to identify needs in the market, build relationships and opportunities for new business and in the existing portfolio.
• Responsible for building new business from referrals, and through proactive marketing efforts.
• Listen to customers and respond with VCC solutions.
• Conduct proactive outreach calling in assigned territory, participate with team members in industry trade shows, attend planning and economic development meetings, and proactively call on community and economic development officials
• Assist in development of marketing tools, loan products, process reviews, etc. as required
• Represent VCC in various public settings
• Assist borrowers with loan applications; assess adequacy of information provided; provide feedback to borrower and Manager
• Structure Loan Transactions - fit borrower needs in tandem with VCC program guidelines; make pricing and loan structuring recommendations
• Financial Analysis - review financial statements, budgets, operating statements, cash flows, and all project pro formas and sources and uses statements
• Credit Analysis – author credit memos including both analytical and descriptive writing; assess risks of transactions’ strengths and weaknesses, make recommendations and present to loan committee for approval
• Attendance and participation at loan committee required
Loan Closing & Monitoring
• Negotiate loan’s financial, business and legal terms
• Prepare loan commitment letters
• Coordinate loan closing and loan servicing needs of borrower with Loan Closer
• If appropriate, approve construction draws reviewed and recommended by Construction Admin.
• Monitor assigned loan portfolio and maintain relationships with current borrowers, underwriting and closing additional loans as requested by borrowers and soliciting repeat business
• Assure timely loan closing and funding activities
Compensation and Benefits: VCC offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, and paid time off.
To Apply: Please mail, email, or fax resume with cover letter and salary requirement to: Human Resources Virginia Community Capital 7814 Carousel Lane, Suite 100 Richmond, VA 23294 HR@vccva.org
VCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. VCC does not discriminate in hiring or employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Experience, Certifications:
Bachelor’s degree required from 4-year college or university in business field including specific courses in accounting, finance, and economics. Minimum 8-10 years experience in commercial real estate lending environment. Experience with lending with tax credit programs will be given priority consideration. Additional experience with Small Business Lending a plus.
• Well-developed organizational and decision-making skill
• Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously
• A basic understanding of banking services and compliance requirements for both lending and deposit products
• In-depth knowledge of development pro-formas, operating projections, and financial statements. Ability to both prepare pro-formas and projections and analyze/manipulate those prepared by borrowers to conform to VCC’s underwriting criteria
• Ability to spread and analyze audits, tax returns and other financial statements; comfortable discussing questions and concerns with borrowers and preparers
• Ability to draw conclusions from financial and market data to make sound recommendations regarding loan conditions and requirements
• Ability to analyze real estate projects and appraisals, including Environmental reports
• Ability to identify and mitigate credit risks in real estate transactions. A keen ability to delve into alternative sources of funding and identify risks associated with them
• Excellent Word, Excel and Windows file management skills mandatory
• Demonstrated web research skills
• Familiarity with Outlook or similar network-based email and calendar software
• Familiarity with Salesforce an added plus
About Virginia Community Capital
Virginia Community Capital is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life for Virginians. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, we offer innovative and flexible financing tools throughout the state. In addition, we provide professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities.