Summary: Responsible for development, maintenance, and growth of the region’s loan portfolio consisting of a mixture of commercial, consumer, real estate, and agriculture loans. Has overall responsibility for the lending department, including the processing and servicing of loans. Develops, recommends, and implements loan objectives, policies, and procedures. Monitors and oversees the credit quality of the loan portfolio. Exercises usual authority of a department head concerning staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, and terminations. Provides guidance and advice to lenders.Ensures that applicable bank lending policies and practices, and state and federal regulations, are followed. Approves and declines loan applications that exceed the loan limits of lenders. Develops new business and expands existing relationships. May originate loans and maintain a portfolio. Participates in and promotes the region’s community activities. Provides friendly, quality customer service and treats customers with respect and dignity, either in person or on the phone.
Specific Job Functions:
- Develops and recommends interest rate and fee structure for large or important loans.
- Coordinates with internal and external legal counsel in the interpretation and implementation of new and existing federal and state regulations and statutes.
- Prepares annual budget estimates for the loan growth and rate forecasts.
- Oversees regulatory compliance with federal and state regulations for the lending department.
- Approves selection of new employees, salary increases, promotions and transfers for loan department. Makes authoritative recommendations regarding disciplinary actions, and terminations. Oversees documentation on recommendations and actions taken.
- Sets performance standards, gives clear direction, delegates and schedules work.
- Monitors performance, gives on-going performance feedback, and conducts effective performance appraisals.
- Trains, coaches, counsels, and provides general direction and guidance to direct reports.
- Evaluates the loan portfolio and analyzes any developing trends.
- Develops the short and long term goals and objectives of the department.
- Approves and declines loan applications that exceed the loan limits of subordinate lenders.
- Reviews approved loans and delinquency reports to ensure that policies and practices are being followed.
- Analyzes unusually difficult and complex loans and determines the most effective method for maximizing financial recovery.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to lending personnel regarding expedient identification and evaluation of deteriorating loan situations in order to recognize charged-off loans early and manage credit to minimize losses.
- Prepares letters pertinent to maintaining collateral documentation, financial statements and other lending activities.
- Releases liens such as titles, deeds of trust and paid notes, etc.
- Reviews for trend changes in customer portfolio before renewing credit.
- Interviews loan applicants, gathers and evaluates financial data to ensure credit worthiness.
- Provides advice to customers, upon request, in areas related to agricultural crop and livestock production, commercial business operations, sales and marketing, purchasing inputs, purchasing machinery and equipment, managing capital, cash flow management, and risk assessment.
- Negotiates credit terms and repayment schedules with applicants within broad guidelines.
- Monitors customer financial condition and repayment process.
- Maintains knowledge of commercial banking products and services, as well as knowledge of the industries or market areas served.
- Calls on potential customers, identifies banking needs, secures financial data for analysis and makes proposals for new business.
- Coordinates with operational and administrative areas to set up new accounts.
- Reviews existing account relationships for opportunities to meet additional needs with other products or services, makes proposals, as appropriate.
- Participates in civic and community activities to generate visibility, contacts, and new business for the region.